top of page

Legal Resources

406 Pride does not provide legal representation or legal advice, but we can help you find legal resources. Below you will find links to resources created by the Montana Legal Services Association and as well as LGBTQ+ friendly legal practitioners. Inclusion on this list does not represent an endorsement by 406 Pride. Use our "contact us" page to suggest additional resources or practitioners for inclusion on this list.


TransForm Name & Gender Change

Montana Legal Services Association received a Pride Foundation Grant to create this online resource to guide Trans individuals through name and gender marker changes with government and private entities. This guide is only for people living in Montana because it is based on the laws and court system in Montana. It also links to court forms for use in Montana.

To utilized this resource you can either download the whole packet or use the links below to navigate the document on the website. 


TransForm Name and Gender Change (FAQ and Court Forms)

Frequently Asked Questions

Steps for Getting a Court Order Changing Name and/or Gender

Changing Your Montana Birth Certificate

Changing Your Name and Gender in Tribal Court

Changing Your Social Security Information 

Changing Your Driver's License or State ID

Changing Your Name on a Vehicle Registration Record

Changing Your Public Benefit Records

Changing Your U.S. Passport

Changing Your Consular Reports of Birth Abroad

Changing Your U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Documents

Changing Your Military Service Records

Selective Service

Changing Your Financial Records

Changing Your School Records

Changing Other Records

Take Action (Find links to download free court forms and legal documents)


Finding an Attorney

Montana Legal Services Association

Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) works to help ensure fairness for all in Montana's justice system by providing civil, non-criminal, legal services to low income Montanas. They serve clients in all 56 Montana counties. Additionally, MLSA provides access to materials and information for individuals to represent themselves. To apply for representation from MLSA, you can fill out an application online, download a paper application and return it, or call 1-800-666-6899 (available M-F from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM) to speak with an intake specialist.

bottom of page